MS Fonts offline

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Fri Jun 12 19:50:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 14:10 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Chris Mohler<cr33dog at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I am assuming the system in question does not have internet access.
> >> This being the case, from a system which does have download capability
> >> go to the following site:
> >>
> >> http://packages.ubuntu.com/uk/intrepid/all/msttcorefonts/download
> >>
> >> Download msttcorefonts_2.5_all.deb or the latest version to a thumbdrive
> >> or some other medium.  Its only about 31k.  Return to the isolated
> >> system and insert the disk.  Double click the file and an installer
> >> should start.  Hope this helps.
> >
> > Yeah - but doesn't that .deb download an archive file from somewhere?
> > IIRC, installing the .deb calls a script that does a wget from
> > mickeysoft.
> >
> > I would:
> >
> > On an online machine, download the .deb, expand the .deb file and grep
> > around for MS or wget - find that archive, download it, carry it to
> > the offline machine, then extract the contents into /home/<me>/.fonts
>
> OK - it's not quite that simple.  The fonts are hosted on sourceforge
> and they are in .exe format.  I have 'cabextract' installed on my
> system - but I'm not sure if it's a default package (I doubt it).
> 'cabextract' can be used to extract the font files from the .exe files
> though once they are downloaded from SF:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/corefonts/
>
> Yuck ;)
>
> Chris

Thank's for the assist Chris.  Couldn't they also just pull the fonts
from /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/ on a system which does
have msttcorefonts already installed and paste them to the same on the
isolated system? (just thought of that) :P  May need to create the
corefont directory but, beside that, a cut and paste might work just as
easy.

--
Fred R.
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like Linux, simple.  If you are fighting it, you are doing
something wrong."