GNU/Linux? Was: Re: OT: Corel Linux (hijacked from Re: Chrome on Ubuntu)

Tony Baldwin photodharma at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 15:18:44 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>
>> I took my 'troll' to Usenet and alt.os.linux.ubuntu (what a quagmire!)
>> where a nice fellow, John F. Morse, sent me this link:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy
>> which shows that the combination of GNU and Linux did, indeed, once
>> carry the term, Linux/GNU/X and also (once used by RMS) Lignux (which I
>> suspect is pronounced, "lee-gnewx").
>> Since the controversy (yes, there really is one) still rages on I guess
>> I'm going to throw my own mostly inconsiderable weight behind Lignux.
>
> I can just imagine Linus Torvalds response to Stallman...

I once made the mistake of forgetting the "GNU/" while corresponding
with Mr. Stallman...
I was to give a presentation on FOSS (especially OmegaT and Linguas OS)
to a professional translators assoc. (NETA) at BU, and asked whether he
wanted to show up (since he's usually right there in Cambridge) and
expound on the virtues of...wait for it...open source software...
Dude...
I should have saved the lecture he sent me...

I have deep respect for the guy, all the same, and believe in the
principles of FREE Software (as much as OSS).
I now use the terms FREE software and GNU/Linux, but I'm not as
religious about it as some folks.
I don't beat people over the head with it.
Call it OSS and Linux all ya want for all I care.
Either way, FOSS & GNU/LINUX ROCK!!

/tony
--
http://www.baldwinsoftware.com