OT: Unix or UNIX or unix

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri Jun 12 07:14:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:28:03 +0300
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you serious? Windows has been a preemptive multi-tasking OS since
> Win98 I think,

Since 95. I remember vividly because this was a major technical
improvement which made 95 (to me) interesting compared to 3.1

> and it had some hack to fake multitasking before that.

3.1 had "cooperative" multitasking, which meant the efficiency of the
system relied on the good will of the applications. If an app hangs...
hard to recover control.
That's why the "pre-emptive" multitasking introduced in 95 made it such
a technical improvement. None of the Windows versions since 95 have
brought anything as interesting/worthwhile since then, as far as I am
concerned (maybe I missed something obvious of interest to the average
desktop user ?).  Linux OTHO does it every 6 months, there is always a
worthwhile technical improvement in gestation in some part or other of
the stack, which keeps my interest in Linux alive, whereas Windows had
me sleeping since Win 95, which was quite a long time ago now !

--
Vince