GNU/Linux? Was: Re: OT: Corel Linux (hijacked from Re: Chrome on Ubuntu)

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 11 23:12:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:12:02 -0500
"Cybe R. Wizard" <cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:42:10 +0100
> Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > The full name for your system is 'GNU/Linux' - The Linux
> > part of that specifically refers to the kernel (and only the
> > kernel).
> >
> > Chris
>
> This GNU/Linux thing has always bothered me.  If Linux is the kernel,
> the indispensable OS, and the rest (GNU) is 'only' the, well, the rest
> or userland, shouldn't we be talking about Linux/GNU instead?
>
> ...or Solaris/GNU as the case may be...
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

I took my 'troll' to Usenet and alt.os.linux.ubuntu (what a quagmire!)
where a nice fellow, John F. Morse, sent me this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy
which shows that the combination of GNU and Linux did, indeed, once
carry the term, Linux/GNU/X and also (once used by RMS) Lignux (which I
suspect is pronounced, "lee-gnewx").
Since the controversy (yes, there really is one) still rages on I guess
I'm going to throw my own mostly inconsiderable weight behind Lignux.

Look at that, I got a brand new system just by asking a trolling
question!

Cybe R. Wizard -once again, sorry for the noise
	Winduhs