OT: Unix or UNIX or unix

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Thu Jun 11 17:10:26 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 10 June 2009 4:23:53 pm CJ Kelley wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:

> > > The Windows TCP/IP implementation was taken from BSD Unix which had a
> > > much more permissive license which allowed Microsoft to use the
> > > codebase with attribution.

Windoze like the Borg, as a standard practice just takes and assimilates
rather than creates.

> > > Linux is a Unix work-alike and presents a POSIX compliant system
> > > services API with extensions.  It is not Unix in the sense that the
> > > Linux kernel codebase is not derived from any previous Unix variant as
> > > originally licensed from AT&T all those many years ago.

Nor is it multi-tasking multi-user as Unix was designed to be although with
the faster processors they are stating to fake it pretty well!

> so is unix a non-free platform? i always thought it was. Ive never really
> worked with unix as much as i have linux..so my unix knowledge is not all
> that great

No Unix is not free but once you have it you are free to create any additional
tools you might need.  I got System V rel 4 with my Amiga 3000ux and still
run it although it did not play nice with the 68040 or 68050 chips so is
still on one 68030 based Amiga 3000ux.  The other one, BSD, worked well on
the 4000s with the '040, '050 and '060 chips so was faster there.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403