removing duplicate MP3s

Charlie Brune Ubuntu at BruneWorld.com
Thu Jun 11 16:10:48 UTC 2009

admin2 wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am looking for an automated application that can look at MP3s and
> remove the duplicate file names that could spread across multiple
> directories.  Is there such an animal?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Noah

Are you really looking just to delete files that have the same file name
or do you really want to delete files that have exactly the same content?

For example, I had the problem where a picture I took with my digital
camera was saved in one directory as "DSC011823.JPG" and in another
directory as "Charlie_Has_A_New_Hat.JPG".

I wanted to delete duplicates of this nature and I used "fdupes" to do
it. Fdupes looks at the contents of the files, NOT the filenames.
Perfect for me.

I did:

fdupes -r mypictures/

I ended up piping the results of this command into a file and editing it
to create a bash script to delete files I didn't want.

HTH,
Charlie
St. Louis, Missouri