mounting windows partition automatically on HP Pavilion laptop

Alexandra Zaharia f0rg3r at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 15:05:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Colin Law<clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/11 Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com>:
>>        You NEVER want to mount the data partition that is made for Windows XP.
>> It is a special partition that XP can use to re-load itself.
>
> I don't understand this comment. I have a dual boot setup with XP and
> Ubuntu and mount the XP partition in Ubuntu so that I can access the
> same data files and have encountered no problems.  Why should I not do
> this?  Also what does 'It is a special partition that XP can use to
> re-load itself' mean?  How can XP reload itself?

I was just planning to reply with something along the same line.

I think Karl thought it would be some kind of
recovery/clone/backup/snapshot, you name it, partition.

Avraham simply mentioned "One is for XP (NTFS); one is for data (NTFS)
and one is for Ubuntu 9.04."

"data" is just that... "data". :-/