SW to create a web site

Ray Leventhal ubuntu at swhi.net
Thu Jun 11 13:32:07 UTC 2009

Amedee Van Gasse (ubuntu) wrote:
> arnaud mezenga somaunn schreef:
>> Thanks for the link on how to setup a LAMP server it worked fine for
>> me too on my jaunty install but want to know if there is an GUI tool
>> managing that LAMP server?
>
> You won't need it. It works better without a GUI tool.
> Trust me.
>
>> If yes, is it downloadable from the main repositories ?
>
> No.

While I wholly agree with Amedee (I tend to, it seems :)), you might
want to implement Webmin.  There had been security issues with early
versions, but most have been patched and cleaned up at this stage.

While it appears that Webmin is available through repositories, there's
an advisory against using same [1].

<aside>
Is this a great solution? Not really - you do need to know how to do
things at CLI to really understand server functions.  I urge you to gain
that knowledge first, *then* decide if you truly need a GUI.
</aside>

As always YMMV.  Remember..this is Linux.  If you break it, you get to
keep all the pieces.

HTH,
-Ray

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=7507