OT: Unix or UNIX or unix

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Jun 11 04:50:20 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> my instructor told us one day when he was giving a lecture about the history
>> of linux and unix that windows's network layer was taken from linux. This
>> was back in the windows 9x days..so windows current network layer is no
>> longer unixes.
>>

> It was BSD's TCP/IP, not Unix's. This is often given as an example of
> the importance of the BSD license. Imagine the world of hurt that we'd
> be in if MS had developed their own, slightly incompatible TCP/IP
> stack. I wish that the OOo ODF interpreter had been BSD and that MS
> would have incorporated it into MSO. Or the Gecko / KHTML browser
> engines.

Duh...Kerberos anyone? Embrace and then destroy has been one of
Microsoft's most often used tactic? Active Directory is just Kerberos +
LDAP + DNS + MS Extensions but the last portion is sufficient to prevent
interoperability for key services. They would do the same to TCP/IP if
they could get away with it but alas, they have to maintain some
interoperability with other operating systems. Until there is no other
competition anyway.