CD\DVD-RW Writting Problem (Newbee)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 11 02:27:01 UTC 2009

On 06/10/2009 07:13 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 06/10/2009 03:14 AM, Chris Taylor wrote:
>> HI can anyone help me please I'm new to linux please be very simple in
>> answers
>> I have just upgrade to  "Ubuntu 9.04 - the Jaunty Jackalope - released in
>> April 2009."
>> I have K3B Brasero Disk Burner installed but I can't write to the CD/DVD-
>> RW. I believe it is a permission setting but but know where to find to
>> fix
>> Please if you would be so kind to help
>>

> Try (using a terminal - Applications|Accessories|Terminal:
>
> $ sudo k3b
>
> You will get errors to the effect:
>
> Running K3b as root user
> It is not recommended to run K3b under the root user account. This
> introduces unnecessary security risks.
> Solution: Run K3b from a proper user account and setup the device and
> external tool permissions appropriately.
>
> and terminal errors. But given the issues listed in
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cdrkit/+bug/149076
>
> it's worth a try.
>
> This might also be of interest:
> <http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/lg-gcc-4521b-problem-burning-stops-200mb-221514/>
>
> Try a different speed, and/or media, update the firmware?

Sorry, forgot to add; while you are in the terminal, please provide the
output of these commands:

$ wodim --devices

The ouput should look something along the lines of:
$ wodim --devices
wodim: Overview of accessible drives (2 found) :
 0  dev='/dev/scd0'	rwrw-- : 'BENQ' 'DVD DC DQ60'
 1  dev='/dev/scd1'	rwrw-- : 'SONY' 'CD-ROM CDU5215'
Note: I have two drives here - the Benq is my CD/DVD R/W. I'm more
interested in the:
0  dev='/dev/scd0'	rwrw--
bits from yours.

$ groups

as H.S. pointed out in his previous post.