OT: Unix or UNIX or unix

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Jun 11 01:45:41 UTC 2009

> 	You got it right! Follow the money and you see where names come from
> and who wins. I think Ubuntu is a lot closer to Unix than the Unix
> people will admit. But Ubuntu is free and that doesn't count.

Ubuntu being free has nothing to do with it and nor does lineage. Mac OS
X is mach kernel based OS and yet its latest version Leopard and Snow
Leopard is considered UNIX because it is UNIX certified.

Ubuntu will never be UNIX certified because it is a GNU userland
operating system and GNU = GNU is NOT UNIX and thus its difference in
behaviour in some places will never get it full UNIX compliance. Ubuntu
could be UNIX certified and still be free if 1) it is UNIX compliant and
2) Canonical paid for the tests to get UNIX certification.