Seahorse Delema

Tony Baldwin photodharma at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 15:15:35 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Fred Roller wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 08:05 -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> 	I was really pissed when some stupid software asked me to provide the
>> password for a Key Ring so I could start my computer! It got worse when
>> there were two Key Rings that needed passwords! That was when a kind
>> person on this list suggested Wicd.
>>
>> 	Now All my computers are using Wicd to start. As a fact to this date I
>> attest that Wicd is simply worlds better than Network-Manager. It is
>> faster and far less trouble.
>>
>> 	Back to Seahorse. I can only start seahorse from a Terminal. I have
>> never seen it on Applications or System or places. Not at all sure where
>> to look on KDE. I have a KDE 8.10 and may look for seahorse.
>>
>> 	But then came Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) and I was able to just get a
>> good free version from the Ubuntu repositories done by the GNU. Then I
>> was at a qwandry because I didn't know how it worked. I was directed to
>> some EXCELLENT PDF books I d/l and read.
>>
>> 	One said to get on seahorse and view your Key Rings. I was about to be
>> sick, but when I did start seahorse it was perfect. It showed me my
>> system Key Rings and all the Public Key Rings I have collected. This is
>> what Seahorse was written for! It is great for PGP.
>>
>> 	I will keep looking for a tab that loads Seahorse. I have learned to use:
>>
>> $ seahorse &
>>
>> because this lets me have the Terminal back...
>>

>> 73 Karl
>>

>> Karl,
>>   Have you tried to right click the Ubuntu icon (upper right in gnome)
>> and select "Edit Menus".  This should give you what you need to add
>> Seahorse to your menu your self.
>

> 	I tried. Seahorse was not on the list of things to put on the border
> with the other stuff, but there was a place to write the name of a
> application so I wrote seahorse, and nothing happened. Alas I will just
> have to use the terminal.
>
> 73 Karl

honestly, the krun-dialog would work nicely, (just press Alt-F2, enter
seahorse)
then you don't even have to have a terminal up.
or
right click on your desktop and choose add launcher
in the properties dialog for the launcher, choose a pretty icon (might
even be one for seahorse available) and in the path field put
seahorse
or /usr/bin/seahorse

then you'll have a pretty icon on your spinning eyecandy desktop to click.

:P
tony

--
http://www.baldwinsoftware.com