OT: Corel Linux (hijacked from Re: Chrome on Ubuntu)

Tony Baldwin photodharma at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 14:02:37 UTC 2009

Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
>>> However, on a personal side, it's about as cool as Microsoft writing a
>>> version of Office for Linux.
>>>

>> That would be about the coolest thing that I could think of. I'm
>> waiting for that day. I don't particularly like MS's operating systems
>> or web browsers, but their office software is top notch.
>>

> /me spits on and tramples Powerpoint. The coolest thing might be
> Microsoft removing their fangs from Corel and letting Corel do its
> Wordperfect or Corel Office thing. Corel Linux could have been the
> desktop Linux distro. They had some stuff that worked well before any
> other distro like accessing a CIFS network through a gui app.

meio OT

Corel Linux was one the first I ever tried.
It was pretty co0l, what with wordperfect and corel photopaint in there.
Unfortunately, as I recall, I couldn't get it to access the internet, or
something.
That was back in 2000, or something.
I ended up settling in with red hat and used that (-> fedora) for about
8 years, before moving to ubuntu, then pclinuxos, then back to ubuntu
for all my laptops and debian on all my desktops machines.

/tony

--
http://www.baldwinsoftware.com
free/open source software