Listserve and WWW site info on a home PC

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jun 10 00:21:39 UTC 2009

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:

> On 09/06/09 08:59 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> I would say "most" ISP's might actually be an overstatement - most users
>> I know with cable modems can host a site, but they are subject to
>> throttling if they use too much bandwidth, and their TOS explicitly
>> exclude running
>> commercial servers.
>
> Rogers has the most odious policies for using their, actually, Yahoo's
> mail servers.

No arguments there :-(  I said "most" might be an overstatement, because
most other cablemodem users I know in North America don't suffer from being
Rogers clients :-)

> As for using the Rogers "smarthost", there is nothing smart about it.
> It's rate-limited to X messages/hour. All these measures are intended to
> fight spam but they also catch many legitimate users. In fact, I'd say
> they hurt legitimate users more than they hurt spammers.

Again, no argument there - though I can't say such rate limiting would
bother me.  In fact, I'd voluntarily use such a thing to ensure that I
_knew_ if somebody was sending spam as me - but it shouldn't be applied
arbitrarily.  But the point is that if your mail goes through there, it
won't (well, at least shouldn't) get bounced at its destination, while I
have no qualms at all about bouncing mail from an SMTP server at a Rogers
end-user IP.

>> I'd add another reason for keeping your mail servers on a hosted site,
>> though. My domain's MX is at gmail.  Gmail is catching 4000 spams per day
>> for ONE user (me).  My satellite modem throttles me if I download 100MB,
>> and that spam seems to average out at about half of my limit!
>
> Google is not unique in doing spam filtering.

Not at all - I didn't even suggest one should use Google.  I'm just saying
that because my MX is hosted outside my local net, _I_ don't download that
50MB of spam every day, because the hosting site already isolated it.  For
me, google works.  That's because I have a two-employee company, me and my
wife.  If it was much larger, I'd want a real hosted solution.
--
derek