say-epos

Muzer muzerakascooby at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 20:37:32 UTC 2009

CJ Kelley wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Tom Rausner <tom at rausner.dk
> <mailto:tom at rausner.dk>> wrote:
>
>     tir, 09 06 2009 kl. 21:05 +0100, skrev Muzer:
>
>     > Just use festival! It is SO much better!
>
>     year, I think I've reached that piont too...
>     --
>     Tom Rausner <tom at rausner.dk <mailto:tom at rausner.dk>>
>

>     --
>

> ok so when i type
> festival --tts test.txt
>

> it tells me Linux: Can't open /dev/dsp
>
> what process is using it and how can i stop it?
>
> --cj
>

> --
> Registered linux user #402,916 (registered since 2007)
I've found you can tell festival to use ALSA (which is a lot more
up-to-date) rather than the ancient DSP (which has the problem you are
facing). Execute this command (you should only need to do it once, ever):

printf ";use ALSA\n(Parameter.set 'Audio_Method
'Audio_Command)\n(Parameter.set 'Audio_Command \"aplay -q -c 1 -t raw -f
s16 -r \$SR \$FILE\")\n" > ~/.festivalrc

(That should all be on one line, by the way, sorry if thunderbird has
wrapped it)
Then use festival as normal.