Jaunty Update Manager is broken

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 21:08:42 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> 	First anything done right with the Terminal works fine. I just used the
> Terminal to start the Synpatic File Manager and re-load the Update
> Manager I had just killed. It doesn't work right because of the "root"
> problem. I am on Jaunty now and have discovered what the problem is.
>

> 	Any call that requires a user supply a password before you use the
> application does not work. I have tried many times and the call to the
> password panel just times out and your effort dies.

So, let me get this straight:

1. Doing "sudo aptitude update" (or any other command requiring sudo)
works. This requires you to type in the password when you use sudo for
the first time. Sudo remembers your authorization for some time then.

2. When you open Synaptics and feed in your password (the same one that
you used in Step 1 above; let us know if this is not so), the GUI
application does not work.

3. Note that if you used sudo recently and start synaptics from the
command line, it will probably not require your password again (sudo
might have remembered your authorization).

If this is correct, the problem might be the way you are entering the
password. Confirm that you are using exactly the same keyboard layout
(or input method) in both cases.

Regards.

ever having been read.