9.04 added more graphic memory - how do I reconfigure

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue Jun 9 13:55:06 UTC 2009

> I have a max resolution of 1024x768 on an ASUS with internal Intel.  I
> found that the BIOS had only reserved 8MB.  I changed this to 32MB and
> rebooted.
> Sadly this didn't give me any higher option.

You only need 4MB for 32 bit colour depth at this resolution, so now
wonder that 32MB didn't change this.

> My question is:  Is there a way to have this added memory recognized by
> the X-server,

You shouldn't have to do anything I think.

> or is there another logic reason why I do not get anything
> higher?

The most common cause of low resolution, is a misconfigured monitor.
Usually it is not detected properly, hence X uses conservative
settings, which means low resolution ! ;-)

So edit xorg.conf (create one if you don't have one), and add a section
like this, to describe your monitor frequency ranges:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Samsung SyncMaster"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 130.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 160.0
EndSection

These frequencies are only valid for my own monitor of course, you must
look in the user manual of your monitor to find what the values are ni
your case.

Regards,

--
Vince