Why 8.04?

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Mon Jun 8 22:05:19 UTC 2009

On Monday 08 June 2009 12:02:22 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >  My Open Office identifies itself as Version
> > 1:3.1.0-3ubuntu2~hardy1   build: 9399 and is of course on Hardy KDE.
>
> Looks like you have the OOo PPA configured.

Yes, a Open Office developer kindly offered to fix my KDE menu problem and he
had me set up this PPA for hardy in which he fixed it for me.  It works fine
and had no problems with the recent kernel upgrade like the previous versions
seem to have had in KDE.  It was the one which I had such a hard time getting
the keys for around the first of the year.  I also had a BibleTime bug fixed
for me and so now enjoy BibleTime 2.0 with libsword8 on Hardy ...also works
flawlessly.  I bought a Dell 1525n pre-installed with 7.10 and upgraded to
8.04 two days after the machine arrived on advice from Dell support.  I
followed their bug fixes and arrived at a very stable 8.04 machine.  We have
now done five of these machines configured the same way and all are great!  I
don't quite see the logic of staying with a buggy app in a distro if a
updated version of the app is available for that distro.  Isn't the point of
Linux in the first place, NOT to be required to use under performing apps?
Because if that is not true then perhaps windoze IS the way to go!  At least
you know beforehand with windoze that your apps are all going to buggy and
prone to failure, not to mention easily virus infected. :(

> > Disadvantage is that KDE is still too unstable for me in
> > Jackalope so I had to stay with Heron for function.
>
> If you'd care to elaborate then I will file bugs on your issues. You
> can write on list (probably better off in a new thread, CC me please)
> or off list. Thanks!

Same as I have stated before.  there are a few programs we rely heavily upon
around here:  Kmail, Firefox, Open Office, BibleTime, Skype and LinDVD on a
KDE desktop.  We do not want to go where any of these won't work is all.
Perhaps 9.10 will correct the shortcomings.  If not, it is not all that far
to 10.04!  ;)

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403