Creating a installable user program for different distros

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 8 20:17:30 UTC 2009

On 06/08/2009 12:12 PM, Alain Muls wrote:
> Hi
>
> At our company we have a discussion.
>
> Currently we develop a Qt4 based program that gets installed on Windows
> and RedHat. A customer asked for a SuSE version, but my (windows)
> colleagues are reluctant to create a version for SuSE (and Ubuntu).
>
> I made the remark that they create a XP, Vista and 7 Windows version, so
> that creating 3 Linux versions would equal the WIndows job.
>
> My colleague answered that all window versions were the same :-(
>
> Is it possible to create 1 version for Linux installable on those 3
> Linux versions?
>
> Tx/Alain

Mozilla does this for SeaMonkey, Thunderbird & Firefox. For example:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/nightly/candidates-1.1.17/

seamonkey-1.1.17.en-US.linux-i686.installer.tar.gz

Extract & it includes an installer program. Doesn't matter if you're
running debian or redhat.

FireFox example:

<http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0.10/linux-i686/en-US/>
firefox-3.0.10.tar.bz2