SW to Create a Web Site

Piper pay_the_piper at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 8 19:13:52 UTC 2009

Thanks for the tip Ray. I may try it.

Here's how I got to this point. I was an active participant in yahoo list
discussions but I discovered some "funny stuff" with these lists. Some
emails did not get posted. A couple of lists I set up suddenly were
unaccessible, ie I could no longer post to them. One was even stolen. It
went on under somebody else's name. Questions/complaints to yahoo admin went
mostly unanswered. I expect the yahoo servers are being "hacked". Just for
illustration I am sending a cc to a list to which I can no longer post and
yahoo won't reply to explain why.

So I have a few non-proprietary listserve programs now on a Linux machine
which is being set up and I will "mirror" the troublesome yahoo lists. Since
that machine will be online 24/7, the next Q is whether I can use it for WWW
info. I was using geocities. I would put up text and sometimes scanned
pictures to go with an email list discussion. Geocities is shutting down.

What about "Mailman" archives? Do they accept scanner pictures?

I don't want to go into the ISP business. I just want the kind of service I
initially got from yahoo/geocities but no longer get.

With a Linux machine running online 24/7 and text/scanner material which I
can leave open to the public on that machine I can achieve that.