SW to Create a Web Site

Ray Leventhal ubuntu at swhi.net
Mon Jun 8 18:42:09 UTC 2009

Piper wrote:
> Does anybody know of SW which is compatible with Ubuntu and can be used to
> set up a WWW site on your own PC?
>
> I was using Geocities but they are shutting down later this year so this
> thought came to mind: maybe you can carry this same kind of information on a
> Linux machine. I have used the Geocities WWW's only for text and scanned in
> pictures, nothing too fancy.
>
> Piper

Hi Piper,

Were I you, I'd do some research on running a local web server
(software, like apache) on your own linux machine.  Once that's setup
[1], the issue will be 'how do people get routed to my machine to see my
website?'.  That can be done with some port forwarding (if you're a NAT
lan) and dynamic DNS, but first things first.

Have at the link below and see if its something you want to try.  In the
example LAMP is an acronym for Linux Apache MySQL PHP (or Perl or
Python).  Apache is the web server most often found in Linux.  MySQL is
a database management system and PHP is a scripting language which works
well with both Apache and MySQL, all are open source (after a
fashion...I don't recall if there are license limits on MySQL, but
they're free of fees, anyway).

HTH,
-Ray
[1] http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_lamp_for_newbies