Is this tower Ubuntu compatible?

Muzer muzerakascooby at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 12:24:49 UTC 2009

Brittany wrote:
> I'm saving my money to buy myself a gaming PC but before I buy I must
> have a tower that will run on Ubuntu without any problems (obviously).
>
> Here's the spec of what my computer will mostly have (for now until I
> find something else)
>
>     * *CPU:* Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366

Will work

>     * *COOLING FAN :* Intel LGA1366 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink

Will work

>     * *MOTHERBOARD:* Asus P6T SE Intel X58 Chipset CrossFireX
>       Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA, GbLAN,
>       USB2.0, IEEE1394a, &7.1Audio

Will work

>     * *MEMORY:* 3GB (1GBx3) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Triple Channel
>       Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

Will work

>     * *FREEBIES:* None
>     * *VIDEO CARD:* NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express (Major
>       Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

Will work

>     * *VIDEO CARD 2:* None
>     * *VIDEO CARD 3:* None
>     * *MULTIPLE VIDEO CARD SETTINGS:* Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode
>       Supports Multiple Monitors
>     * *LCD Monitor:* NONE
>     * *2nd Monitor:* NONE
>     * *HARD DRIVE:* Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB
>       Cache 7200RPM HDD)

Will work

>     * *Data Hard Drive:* NONE
>     * *HARD DRIVE COOLING FAN :* None
>     * *USB PORTABLE DRIVE:* NONE
>     * *Optical Drive:* (Special Price) LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW
>       DRIVE DUAL LAYER (Black Color)

Will work

>     * *Optical Drive 2:* NONE
>     * *SOUND:* HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Will work (if it's Intel like I expect, or most other brands)

>     * *SPEAKERS:* NONE
>     * *NETWORK:* Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

Should work (without a brand it's hard to tell, but pretty much all of
them nowadays work)

>     * *MODEM:* NONE
>     * *KEYBOARD:* Logitech Deluxe 250 USB Keyboard (Black Color)

Will work

>     * *MOUSE:* XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

Will work

>     * *Extra Thermal Display :* NONE
>     * *Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card:* NONE
>     * *Flash Media Reader/Writer:* None
>     * *VIDEO CAMERA:* NONE
>     * *PRINTER:* None
>     * *PRINTER CABLE:* None
>     * *IEEE CARD:* NONE
>     * *USB PORT:* Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

Will work

>     * *FLOPPY:* NONE
>     * *OS:* NONE - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY
>     * *FREEBIES:* None
>     * *Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner:* None
>     * *SERVICE:* STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS
>       LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
>
> Will this tower run on ubuntu without a hassle? Sorry for the dumb
> question but I'm ignorant.
No problem, everyone has to start somewhere

> Brittany
You don't have any hardware that is known to be problematic in that list
(webcams, WiFi cards, TV cards, etc), so I'm almost certain it will work
fine. I have an ASUS motherboard with Intel chipsets, etc, and it all
works fine. NVIDIA is a good choice for graphics cards (their drivers
are best), but you'll need to install drivers first to get 3D
acceleration (it's not hard, really; either Ubuntu will notice you need
drivers, pop up a window, and do it automatically once you tell it to;
or in the unlikely event it doesn't, you can easily just download them
from NVIDIA directly and then do this:
Press ctrl + alt + F1
log in with your normal username and password
Type sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop and press enter
Using cd (to change directory (folder)) and ls (to list files in the
current directory) to guide you, browse to the place you downloaded it
Type bash NVIDIA (without a space after it) and then press the tab key.
Press enter
Follow the instructions.)