xfs server needs to be restarted after boot

Pierre Frenkiel pierre.frenkiel at laposte.net
Mon Jun 8 10:42:38 UTC 2009

hi everybody,
I don't understand the behaviour of the xfs server:
The Files section of my xorg.conf is just:
    Section "Files"
        FontPath   "unix/:7100"
    EndSection

1/ on some machines, I have with some programs (gv for example):
       Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
    and the program doesn't start.

    After restarting xfs, the problem disappears.

2/ on some other machines, it's worse: I have this problem
    with all X11 programs. Again, the problem disappears after
    restarting xfs.

3/ the problem disappears on all machines with all programs after
    removing the xfs package! (the /usr/share/fonts directories
    are loaded automatically by the X server)

Can anybody explain this behaviour, and tell me what is the use of xfs now?

I'm running Intrepid on all these machines, and I never had this kind of
problem with Hardy.

cheers,
--
Pierre Frenkiel