software raid- Swap lost [Solved]

Franz Waldmüller waldbauernbub at gmx.at
Sun Jun 7 20:38:43 UTC 2009

Markus Schönhaber schrieb:
..
> mdadm --monitor --test --scan
> Should mail a status report for every RAID device found on the machine
> (replace --scan with a device name if you don't want multiple mails).
> This way you can check if the mailing of reports really does work.

christopher.lemire
had some good advice on when to use RAID on SWAP devices (it is a RAID 1
in my case)

Chan Chung Hang Christopher
dirceted me to the man pages of mdadm which I will study in the near future.

Thank you for your advice, I lost track of the thread, didn't expect
some further hints.

mdadm --monitor --test --scan
Showed me that no mail transfer agent is configured on the system:
sh: /usr/sbin/sendmail: not found
It should be quite obvious that a mail transfer agent need to be up and
running but I cannot remember the alternate installer telling me to set
up one. I remember the option to enter an email address to which error
reports will be sent. I know that including the set up of postfix in the
installer does not make sense but an advice to do this later on would be
good. I will check the current ubuntu releases on this issue.

Franz