Wireless network, Ubuntu 8.10.

Muzer muzerakascooby at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 17:24:59 UTC 2009

Tony Baldwin wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 06:35:17PM +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>
>> I'm really sorry to write here, because I really think I should be
>> able to solve this myself, but so far I failed badly…
>>
>> I have a wired Internet connection and it works like it should. I
>> don't get the 100 Mb/s, but it's fast enough and I don't complain.
>>
>> We have three computers. One laptop (the one I use right now) with
>> Ubuntu 8.10, one desktop PC, also with Ubuntu 8.10 and finally one Eee
>> PC 900 with Mandriva Linux Free 2009.1.
>>
>> Every one of the computers have wireless network cards and now I
>> thought it would be nice if at least the two laptops (Ubuntu 8.10 and
>> Mandriva Linux Free 2009.1) could share folders and files, but I
>> really don't know where to start. I don't have a router or anything
>> and I don't want to connect the wireless stuff to the Internet since I
>> already have the Internet through the wired stuff.
>>
>> Since I am a total novice, I started by left clicking the network icon
>> in the upper right corner and then click ”Create a new wireless
>> network…”. There was some stuff to input and then the icon started to
>> roll and then nothing more happened… After a while I was prompted for
>> my password again and so on. Since I don't know what is supposed to
>> happen I don't have a clue if this is correct so far and if I am
>> supposed to go to step 2 or something like that, or if I have a
>> problem already…
>>
>> I thought that if someone would be so nice to give me the first steps
>> and tell me what should happen, and then I do that and verify that
>> what's supposed to happen really happens, then someone could be so
>> kind to give me the next step until the problem is solved. Does that
>> sound OK?
>>
>> I really feel stupid writing here about such a thing, but I never
>> worked with networks before that didn't configure themselves, kind of…
>>
>> I don't want to upgrade to 9.04 until an Xorg bug is corrected, since
>> there is a program that I use constantly that depend on it.
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>>

> I believe step no. 1 would be to get a wireless router.
> I'm not sure how you would intend to do this without one.
>
> buena suerte,
> tony

That is correct. Without one, you can only connect two devices (and I'm
not even sure if that works in Linux). Getting a router is the way to go
- you could get a router without a modem (more common in the States than
in the UK, dunno where you live) and plug it into your existing wired
router. Then, you could connect everything to the router, with the added
bonus that you'll have the internet as well. Alternatively, if you are
really paranoid, you could just get a router and not plug it into your
wired router.

Muzer.