Re: Adventures with Ubuntu 9.04, Fujitsu Siemens laptop “Esprimo Mobile V6545” and “ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450”

Steve Reilly sfreilly at roadrunner.com
Sat Jun 6 15:32:08 UTC 2009

emil schwab2 wrote:

> Adventures with Ubuntu
> 9.04, Fujitsu Siemens laptop “Esprimo Mobile V6545” and “ATI
> Mobility Radeon HD 3450” since 1st of June 2009. No operating
> system was previously installed, I bought it without OS.

wow.  i can see how anyone who has gone through that many installs on
the same laptop would be frustrated. tip one would be if you have a
choice and your going to install linux on the laptop, dont *ever* get an
ati chipset.  stick with nvidia, youll be much happier.

theres really no need to completely re install the os if x doesnt work.
 have you tried to ssh to the laptop when it "locks up"?  or you can
boot to recovery mode from grub.

secondly, how *new* is this laptop?  im not even seeing the 3450 as
supported yet on the ati driver website.  that may be the problem as
well. did you see the bit about compiz the bottom of the ati wiki page
where you followed instructions?  I would retry the fglrx driver, re
read the #8 step, and also below that about mesa and compiz,

im pretty sure thats the problem.  if not, im afraid you may have to use
2d and wait for a new driver, but let someone else chime in here that
uses ati more on a regular basis.  like i said, im biased, but still
willing to help, i know how frustrating no x can be:)

steve