Installing an OS in VirtualBox

pkaplan1 pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 6 13:18:22 UTC 2009

If you're trying to install a test distro as a virtual machine in VB, you need
create a new virtual machine (from within VB) and configure that machine
(within the machine's settings) to use the CD drive (or an iso file) at boot
time.  Start the VM and follow the on screen prompts.  The formatted
partitions will be within the VM, which exists as a file on your native machine
and is readable only(?) by VB.

Booting a live CD in VB is the same idea.  Accept the distros defaults and
the partitioning will occur in the virtual machine.

The VB instructions are pretty clear.