Ubuntu Laptop Suggestion

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 23:07:42 UTC 2009

2009/6/5 Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org>:
> This is a bit off topic, but a sixth grader from my kid's school asked
> for recommendations for a laptop.  He says he's saved up about $400[2]
> (we are in the US) and wants to learn Linux and programming.
>
> My Linux laptops have always been Thinkpads, but that's out of his
> price range.
>
> True, it's easy to find Linux laptops on-line, but at his price range
> I'm concerned with hardware compatibility.  I can research, but I
> thought it worth a try asking here just in case anyone has been
> through this lately or seen any great deals in that price range.
>
> Also, my Thinkpads have always had plenty of power -- so I don't have
> experience with low-end laptops.  For example, most the low price
> units are Celeron 2.16GHz machines[1] so I wonder if things like
> compiz will even run.

I run Compiz-Fusion on my Eee PC 900 with Mandriva Linux Free 2009.1.
No problems, except that I had to remove the fish inside the cube,
otherwise it was just too slow… And I had to adjust the turning speed
of the cube to slow it down a bit, making it look more smooth.

Works like a smoothie now…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg