X11 help wanted

yoji.atsumi at yahoo.com yoji.atsumi at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 5 18:32:58 UTC 2009

Hi Peter,

I missed your post earlier,

> Did you use ssh X forwarding? You should!

> Something like (on U):

> % ssh -X R xclock

> will start xclock on R and forward the display to U

> With ssh -X you do not need to set a DISPLAY and need not disable X
> security with "xhost +"

The problem I ran into by what you suggest is that I set
the DISPLAY variable on R via a shell startup file.  And
it is not set as the name/address of U.  As such, the display
of the clock goes to a different monitor/screen.

I was hoping that ssh command also had an option to let
me set DISPLAY variabe, but I didn't find it.

Someone else (also named Peter) suggested below and
it works for me.

> In the /etc/gdm/gdm.conf file, change the line:
> DisallowTCP=true
> DisallowTCP=false

Regards,

Yoji