Ubuntu Laptop Suggestion

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 17:51:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:
> This is a bit off topic, but a sixth grader from my kid's school asked
> for recommendations for a laptop.  He says he's saved up about $400[2]
> (we are in the US) and wants to learn Linux and programming.
>
> My Linux laptops have always been Thinkpads, but that's out of his
> price range.

I've been running linux on two fairly low-end Dell laptops (Vostro
1000 and Vostro 1500) for a couple of years now.    There were a
couple of gotchas at first - I had to tweak my own alsa driver to get
sound working on the 1500.  But later on, 8.10 installed on the Vostro
1500 without a hitch - everything worked out of the box.

I used to go to a site called cheapstingybargains.com to get Dell
coupons/discounts.  I haven't been there recently, but I was able to
save a few hundred bucks by checking the deals regularly.

HOWEVER, if you want hardware that is going to last or decent tech
support you won't find either at Dell.  Case in point: the touchpad on
the Vostro 1000 has started to go wonky after less than 2 years.  But
he should be able to find a decent low-end notebook that should hold
up for a while at least, and most of the hardware should work with any
recent distro.

And, I suggest that you avoid the local Wal-Mart, as that is an evil
corporation at best ;)

Just my $0.02.

Chris