get hardware info through lspci

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 4 17:55:59 UTC 2009

On 06/04/2009 03:15 AM, Michael Casey wrote:
> I've recently read:
>
> Linux Find Out If PCI Hardware Supported or Not In The Current Running
> Kernel<http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-find-supported-pci-hardware-drivers.html>
>
> So, if I:
>
> grep 27d8 /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.pcimap
>
> and see this:
>
> snd-hda-intel        0x00008086 0x000027d8 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x00000000
> 0x00000000 0x0
>
> then it's sure that my PCI Hardware is supported?

Yes.

I Don't need anything to
> do?

No.

> Is there a way for lsusb too?
> How could I know that my hardware (connected to my pc or not) is supported?
> - sorry for asking this: but is there a "devmgmt.msc" (windows..) "like"
> software, solution under Linux, where can I see that is my pc's hardwares
> recognized correctly?

Use the Terminal (Applications|Accessories|Terminal) to install
gnome-device-manager

$ sudo apt-get gnome-device-manager

Or use Synaptic to do the same (System|Administration|Synaptic...)

You will then find the program in Applications|System Tools|Device Manager.

Note: gnome-device-manager is in the Universe repository, so you will
need to have that enabled to find it. See:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

To see & make a file with your hardware listings:

$ sudo lshw > lshwmyhardware.txt

That will creat a standard text file 'myhardware.txt'. You can then view
the file via the standard text editor:

$ gedit lshwmyhardware.txt

Save the file someplace you will remember so that you can easily recall
it when needed. Note: I add 'lshw' the to name of the file so you can
easily remember the name of the command that you used to make it. You
can of course name the file whatever you wish instead. When you make
hardware changes run the command again & name the file by adding a date,
machine name whatever. That way you have another file with the new
hardware changes and can easily go back and compare with the original
lshwmyhardware.txt if needed.

Note that the above will tell you if the hardware is recognized and
available, they will not tell you if the hardware is automatically
supported by the kernel/OS or if added drivers are loaded and installed.
  The 'grep 27d8 /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.pcimap' you used above
is checking the kernel modules to see if a module/driver is already
compiled and loaded. However, you may have hardware that isn't
necessarily supported directly from the kernel at first.
  For example, some graphic cards, wireless cards/devices, etc., use 3rd
party proprietary software for use. Most 3rd party drivers will be
recognized and can be loaded via 'System|Administration|Hardware
Drivers'. Once loaded, the kernel is recompiled to include the driver
and following that you'd then find a response from the ''grep <deviceID>
/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.pcimap'.

For added information, see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/hardware/C/index.html