[Jaunty] Cups/cups-pdf - pdftops patch - pls test

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 4 01:34:38 UTC 2009

Those of you that noticed my posts in the recent "PDF Editor in Ubuntu"
thread, will have noticed my reference to cups-pdf not working in
Jaunty. Thanks to the great efforts by Till Kamppeter & others that
participated, there is a resolution. If you are using cups/cups-pdf to
print pdf's from your applications please have a look at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/381788
[[jaunty] cups-pdf no longer embeds fonts in pdf file]

and help by using the last pdftops file provided by Till for additional
testing. To do this you will need to download:

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/27465238/pdftops

Make that file executable (it's a script file). Rename your existing
/usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops to something you'll recognize;
/usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops_old and then place the above download
pdftops in /usr/lib/cups/filter/. Now print to a cups-pdf printer from
the applications that you normally use.

If all is working well with that file (meaning that you have fonts in
the pdf, you can select characters, text lines, and graphics in the pdf,
etc) please don't add "me to's" to the bug report, but instead drop a
note here if you'd like. Of course if you run into problems with Till's
temporary patch, please *do* add to 381788 so the added changes can be
made before a patch is released.

Thanks.