how to remove manually installed gspca modules

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 20:10:47 UTC 2009

Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> On 06/03/2009 09:30 PM, H.S. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I tried to get VX-1000 to work in Jaunty (kernel 2.6.28) by downloading
>> the gspca source from http://linuxtv.org/hg/~jfrancois/gspca/
>>
>> BTW, the newly installed modules still do not support VX-1000 webcam. :(
>>  But the good news is that it worked when I installed the 2.6.30 kernel
>> by pulling it from Karmic sources (see my other recent post on apt
>> pinning and karmic in this list).
>>
>> The modules compile okay and are installed with:
>> $> sudo make install
>> from within the modules source directory.
>>
>> However, this modifies the kernel modules irreversibly, i.e., the
>> following does not bring back the original kernel tree:
>> $> sudo make rminstall
>>

> Why you just back up the /lib/modules/your_kernel/ directory before
> installing a self compiled module?
> Then you can just copy the backup back and you are back to where you
> started.

Yup, that is true. However, unfortunately I was not aware that rminstall
won't just cleanly remove the manually installed modules. I cleared that
up on gspca's irc channel and learned that gspca modules over write
kernel's modules (not that kernel's module are any good, IMHO!).

Thanks for the tip though. This will make future experiments much more
simpler.

Regards.

ever having been read.