newbie installation question

Tena Sakai sakaitena at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 3 15:18:18 UTC 2009

Thank you, Vince.
I am slowly catching on.

Tena

--- On Tue, 6/2/09, Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:

From: Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr>
Subject: Re: newbie installation question
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Date: Tuesday, June 2, 2009, 11:27 PM

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 22:53:25 -0700 (PDT)
Tena Sakai <sakaitena at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Vince,
>
> I cut CD and that CD is letting me run hardware test now.
> I think I will let it run the memory test all night long and
> catch some sleep myself and boot ubuntu tomorrow.

Ah, cool, the CD is working at last ! ;-)

> But I still don't understand why bunch of files cannot be put
> onto different media.

They can, the ISO image is a file, so can be copied on anything like
any file.

It's just that an ISO image is not just an archive of files, its point
is to represent an exact copy of a medium (a disc here), so it can
be duplicated easily and reliably, rather than just the files it
contains. To start with, the ISO is burnt on a blank CD, so the ISO
specifies what filesystem is going to be used on the CD, and if it's
going to be bootable or not.

Have a look at wikipedia as a starting point...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iso_image

--
Vince