[OT] Hosting a DNS

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 13:37:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:24 AM, GNUbie <gnubie at gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you think is the main reason or the importance of hosting your
> own DNS when your ISP and/or Domain Registrar can host it for you for
> FREE?

> Normally if you are going to host your own DNS for your organization,
> ideally you need to run it at least on two (2) different machines
> connected at least to two (2) different ISPs.

Same reasons you'd bring any IT service in house rather than farm it out.

You can make it work the way you want it to. My needs may be different.

If it breaks you can fix it rather than spending an hour on hold to
talk to someone making 0.50 an hour who can't do anything but follow a
spreadsheet and 'open a ticket'

Everything needs a DNS lookup.  Having your own server can be much faster.

etc. etc.

Brian