virtualbox network problem

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Wed Jun 3 10:02:27 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I'm using ubuntu 8.04 and virtual box to host a system (windows xp). When the
ubuntu system is connected via ethernet, and the virtual machine works with
network attached to the host interface, the network works. When the ubuntu
machine works with the wifi interface (wlan0), the hosted system does not work.
It does not get the network address and, of course, does not work on the
network.
The following are commands I issue (as root) to make the ethernet working, and
it works:

tunctl -t tap1 -u claudia
brctl addbr br1
ifconfig eth0 promisc
brctl addif br1 eth0
ifconfig br1 192.168.1.202 up
brctl addif br1 tap1
chmod 666 /dev/net/tun

The same commands, when applied to the wlan0, block the network interface and
the hosted system results disconnected:

tunctl -t tap1 -u claudia
brctl addbr br1
ifconfig wlan0 promisc