I still need help!! Re: Can't play DVD

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Jun 3 08:27:16 UTC 2009

Knapp wrote:
> I still don't know how to fix this problem!! Anyone?

I just read your original thread again. It seems like there is no device
"/dev/dvd" which may be missing because your old dvd player was assigned
to that device. Now your new dvd player is probably "/dev/dvd1" and the
programs don't look there. But I have no idea why it works after startup
with the dvd in the drive.

Now let's see: What is the output of

ls -l /dev/scd* /dev/dvd*

in a terminal? Make sure that the xine parameters of kaffeine point to
the appropriate device which you should see with the command above.
However I can't tell you what to do with Gnome.

BTW: The assignment for the dvd device is done in the file
"/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules". You can safely remove the
entries for your old and new drive, they will be rewritten on the next
bootup.

Nils