I still need help!! Re: Can't play DVD

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Wed Jun 3 07:35:01 UTC 2009

Knapp wrote:
> I still don't know how to fix this problem!! Anyone?
> Thanks!

 From your initial posting:

ibdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/sda7 mounted on / for CSS
authentication
libdvdread: Could not open /dev/sda7 with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/sda7 for reading
libdvdread: Device /dev/sda7 inaccessible, ***CSS authentication not available***

I would suspect that you have not enabled css support for decoding dvds,
you need to do (assuming Jaunty here):

$ sudo aptitude install libdvdread4         # you've probably got that
already...
$ sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

This is mentioned on the Ubuntu site - can't recall exactly where right
now :-)

regards

Mark