Save Gnome session not what I thought

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Tue Jun 2 16:16:46 UTC 2009

Ubuntu Users,

I thought that if I checked the option to save session when shutting
down the computer, in System -> Preferences -> Sessions, that all my
running applications would return when I started up. But only some
things, like some open terminals and FireFox are there when I boot.

Perhaps "sessions" are not what I'm after.

I have Compiz, and 4 desktops. I like to have different programs on
different desktops. For example, I have Thunderbird on Desktop one,
Amarok on Desktop two...

I'd like to save a particular configuration so that when I boot up, all
those programs are already there, in the place that I like them.

Is this possible?

Thank you for any advice.

--
Dave M G