multiboot

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jun 2 14:45:13 UTC 2009

Muzer wrote:

>> 2) Aren't swap files the recommended approach these days?
>>
> Not in Linux. Swap partitions are useful because they will be one
> continuous block of data (files could be fragmented, which would make
> them even slower than they already are),

I don't think so - when you create a swap file, it _has_ to be contiguous.

> and you can easily use them in multiple distributions

Not at all a good idea if you're using them for hibernation...

> (they are usually automatically detected and
> utilised). Swap files have neither of those advantages, and the added
> disadvantage that if you accidently delete them ("What's this file? I
> don't need that, it's taking up loads of room and just contains junk!"),
> you might make the system crash.

Again, I don't think so.  I suppose there _may_ be a filesystem that lets
you physically delete an in-use file, but not any of the standard ones, and
when do you think the swapper releases control of the file?

--
derek