Hate to give up

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 2 02:45:32 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 6/1/09, John Heinen <hensandpat at earthlink.net> wrote:

> From: John Heinen <hensandpat at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: Hate to give up
> To: ubuntu at swhi.net, "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 11:18 PM
> Ray Leventhal wrote:
> > <big snip>
> >

> >> $ ping 74.125.57.100
> >> 64 bytes from 74.125.67.100 56(84)bytes of data
> >> 64 bytes from 74.125.57 100 1cmp seq 1 ttl=51 time
> 180 ms
> >> and so on and on
> >>
> >> $ping 209.85.171.100
> >> 64 bytes from 209.85.171.100 1cmp seq =1 ttl=24
> time =199ms and so on and on
> >>
> >> it seems to me that the internet connection with
> my provider is working
> >> just fine and that the problem lies with firefox.
> John
> >>

> > Actually, as you're able to ping by IP address but not
> by host name, the
> > problem most likely lies with your DNS configuration.
> >
> > Would you please post the output of this command?
> >
> > cat /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ray
> >

> cat /etc/resolve.config No such file or directory

John, Check the command and output you provided against the one requested(cat /etc/resolv.conf) and note the difference. There is no /etc/resolve.config in Ubuntu but there is /etc/resolv.conf thus the output: No such file or directory.  Please type the command correctly in a terminal and report the output then someone may be able to help you.

> Maybe this might help too, we have a usb modem on it's
> frame there are
> 21 indicator lites, the first on is always on when
> connected, the second
> one keeps flashing continuesly as if it is there is a
> connection (but no
> Firefox) John

I doubt this is related.

Leonard Chatagnier