Can't play DVD

Chris Jones christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch
Mon Jun 1 18:32:58 UTC 2009

On 1 Jun 2009, at 7:07pm, Knapp wrote:

>> Sorry, but I don't see anything there that looks like a mounted
>> DVD. You
>> should see something of type 'udf', which is the DVD file system
>> type.
>> E.g. I get
>>
>> /dev/hda on /media/KNIGHT_RIDER_SEASON03_DISC05 type udf
>> (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,uid=173)
>>
>> for you it might not be /dev/hda (and the mount point will be
>> different,
>> but probabaly still under /media).
>>
>> You should also see some messages in 'dmesg' e.g.
>>
>>  > dmegs
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> UDF-fs INFO UDF 0.9.8.1 (2004/29/09) Mounting volume
>> 'KNIGHT_RIDER_SEASON03_DISC05', timestamp 2006/02/27 20:52 (103c)
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Chris
>
> That prints up a huge amount of info and only works with sudo. The
> thing is that the icon pops up on the desktop with the correct name on
> it. How can that be without mounting?

Can you view the content of the DVD without playing it.

> Maybe it is mounting without
> user permission to view? Where would that be set up?

No, IFAIK, if the DVD is mount 'mount' will list it...

As far as I can tell, your system is not mounting DVDs for whatever
reason.

Are you running gnome or KDE ? If KDE, I hear others have had problems
automounting too. Can you try logging in using gnome instead and see
if it works there ?

Chris