Intel graphics

Mike McGinn mikemcginn at mcginnweb.net
Mon Jun 1 17:47:27 UTC 2009

<mikemcginn at mcginnweb.net>wrote:
> > On Thursday 28 May 2009 01:58:05 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> > > I'm please to be able to report that following a fairly unrelated
> > > issue,

> > > installed a 2.6.30-6 kernel from the Karmic repository, the 2.7.1
> >
> > xserver-
> >
> > > xorg-video-intel driver from http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty/main, and
> > > enabled UXA in my xorg.conf and the graphics seem to be working well,
> >
> > now.
> >
> > > Don't know how reliable it is, and still don't have dual screens, but
> >
> > it's
> >
> > > the best I've had for a long time.
> > >
> > > See: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/KernelModeSetting
> > > --
> > > derek
> >
> > I was planning to revert to 8.10 this weekend from 8.04. Perhaps I'll try
> > this first. Please keep us posted as to your results.
> >

> > --
> > Mike McGinn
> > No electrons were harmed in sending this message.
> > My deeds are my dearest companions. I am the beneficiary of my deeds.
> > My deeds are the ground on which I stand.
> > "more kidneys than eyes!" "Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit."
> > Registered Linux User 377849
>
> I dualbooted ubuntu 7.10 with 9.04 and the graphics performance on 7.10 on
> my intel card (intel 945gm) is much better on 7.10 then on 9.04..ill wait
> till the next kernel version and see if there are any changes in video
> performance on 9.04
>
> > --

I went back to 8.10 on Friday night, and am now running the two KDE apps I use
(Kontact and Konsole) under gnome. I am actually fairly happy with it all now.
Funny that I installed from the Kubuntu 8.10 disk only to end up running
gnome. I really like the flexibility of this Linux. Since I need my computer
for work nearly every day, I am going to wait for a stable and fully working
release before I upgrade again.