Intel graphics

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jun 1 15:13:13 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Mike McGinn wrote:
>

>> On Thursday 28 May 2009 01:58:05 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> I'm please to be able to report that following a fairly unrelated issue,
>>> I installed a 2.6.30-6 kernel from the Karmic repository, the 2.7.1
>>> xserver-
>>> xorg-video-intel driver from  http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty/main, and
>>> enabled UXA in my xorg.conf and the graphics seem to be working well,
>>> now. Don't know how reliable it is, and still don't have dual screens,
>>> but it's the best I've had for a long time.
>>>
>>> See: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/KernelModeSetting
>
>> I was planning to revert to 8.10 this weekend from 8.04.
>
> From 9.04, perhaps?  "Reverting" from 8.04 to 8.10 seems masochistic in
> the extreme! :-)
>
>> Perhaps I'll try this first. Please keep us posted as to your results.
>>
> There's one small glitch I've found so far (already reported by somebody
> else as a bug).  It breaks suspend on multiple monitors for some reason.
> You can suspend fine, but you can't resume.  I can live with that.

I discovered one app that wasn't drawing at all well (java based) and when
trying to debug I discovered that I hadn't turned UXA on in xorg.conf.
Turning it on fixed that problem, so all-in-all I'm pretty happy with using
the 2.6.30 kernel and the 2.7.1 xserver-xorg-video-intel driver.  I'm
working on the suspend issues.  I've added "xrandr --output VGA1 --off" in
my /etc/pm/sleep.d/30xrandr file (this basically turns off the external
monitor - yours could be named something other than VGA1), and it seems to
make it possible to suspend & resume.

$ cat /etc/pm/sleep.d/30xrandr
#!/bin/sh
#
# reset xrandr settings on resume
# we should be able to remove this when KDE properly supports dual monitors

case "$1" in
        hibernate|suspend)
                # turn off external monitor, as we can't resume at all with
	      # it active
                xrandr --output VGA1 --off
                ;;
        thaw|resume)
                # External monitor settings are handled by krandr, except
                # actually making it an extension
                # of the internal, rather than a mirror
                xrandr --output VGA1 --auto  --right-of LVDS1
                ;;
        *) exit $NA
                ;;
esac