Auto mount drives

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jun 1 14:19:25 UTC 2009

Chris Jeffries wrote:

> 2) how to format a command to mount an SMB network volume (Remote OS:
> Windows XP SP3) (is it possible by machine published machine name?
> currently I am using IP address)

Colin said:
 //192.168.1.100/My\040Documents /media/mydocs cifs \
 rw,user=username,password=mypassword,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

I suggest that rather than his options you use:
 rw,user,credentials=/home/chris/.cifs/somecreds

Create a ~/.cifs directory for credentials, and put username and password in
the "somecreds" file (see man:smbmount - if you don't have that man page,
you also need to install the smbfs package).

> 3) how to automatically trigger a mount only when needed (deferred
> mount)

Check out the autofs package (I keep meaning to configure this for
myself...)
--
derek