acronym LAMP

John John at DMJ-Consultancy.co.uk
Mon Jun 1 12:48:58 UTC 2009

Gilles Gravier wrote:
> [snip]
> Can you clarify your views? As far as I know, there are NO ROYALTIES for
> use or redistribution of MySQL runtime on Windows (and on any other
> platform). That's what the GPL licensing of MySQL guaranties... FREE
> REDISTRIBUTION (amongst other things)...
>
> Point your browser to : http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.1.html#win32
> Or a direct link from one (the closest to me) of the redistribution
> mirros :
> ftp://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/mysql/Downloads/MySQL-5.1/mysql-essential-5.1.34-win32.msi
> (and if you feel like bleeding edge, pick one from the
> /pub/mysql/Downloads/MySQL-6.0 directory)
>
> Seriously... no royalties there... even for redistribution. This
> software is licensed under the GPL v2.

As I recall, there *used* to be royalties payable if you wrote and sold
software for the windoze platform that incorporated MySQL. Consequently,
I did not bother with it and went down the PostgreSQL route.

Thus, I have not needed to keep up-to-date with MySQL so if the
situation has changed, thanks for letting me know!!