Server Help

Ray Leventhal ubuntu at swhi.net
Fri Jul 31 18:30:45 UTC 2009

Bob wrote:
> Hello,
> I have recently gotten the server addition of software. I had been using
> the evaluation copy of Microsoft home server. The evaluation time has
> expired. I was just playing with it until I found Ubuntu. I have tried
> to install the new software on the pc converted server, I get to the
> splash screen with options to install. When choosing install I get an
> error reading "this kernel requires an x86-64 cpu, but only detected an
> i686 cpu. unable to boot please use a kernel appropriate for your cpu".
> I'm not completely computer illiterate but I have no idea where to go
> from here.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Bob

Hi Bob,

I'm gonna take a stab here...but it sounds like you're trying to install
the 64bit edition on a 32bit PC.  That's what

> "this kernel requires an x86-64 cpu, but only detected an i686 cpu. unable to boot please use a kernel appropriate for your cpu"

says to me.

Were I you, I'd confirm that the processor on the 'server' is either 32
bit or 64 bit and move towards installing the appropriate Ubuntu server
edition both available from [1].

HTH,
-Ray

[1] http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-server