Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 31 15:08:09 UTC 2009

ubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:34:42 +0300
> From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>
> Subject: The following packages have been kept back:
> To: "ubuntu-users." <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Often I get the message that some packages have been kept back when updating:
>
> jaunty2 at laptop:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
> linux-restricted-modules-generic
>
> What causes that?

Folks,

  I have seen this message when I am using Update Manager to add a new
package that I want to get from the repositories and there are also
Updates waiting that are part of the automatic update feature...

Since I am requesting just a package or two, the rest are held until I
request an Update of the release.

I have no idea if the command line interface works in that same fashion
or not.

Cheers,
Jay
--