DVD-RAM burner recommendations

Franz Waldmüller waldbauernbub at gmx.at
Fri Jul 31 07:51:48 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am looking for a DVD-RAM burner which is working out of the box in
Ubuntu. I checked several hardware compatibility lists, but as hardly
anybody uses DVD-RAM disks it is unknown if this functionality works
flawless too.
If you use DVD-RAM I would appreciate a short reply with the
manufacturer and the model number.

I am looking for a SATA burner and I am especially interested in this
NEC modell

NEC Optiarc AD-7200S  DVD-+R/-+RW SATA
(it is the only white modell available at my local vendor - and it is a
present for my brother who would prefer a white drive)

Other modells available inlclude (but don't concentrate on this modells
I hope that out of your answers I will be able to conlude which brand is
suited for Linux)
LG GH-22NS30  DVD-+R/-+RW SATA

LG GH-22NS50 DVD-+R/-+RW SATA

And some IDE-modells
NEC Optiarc AD-7203A, bulk, schwarz DVD-+R/-+RW IDE

LG GH-22NP20  DVD-+R/-+RW IDE
LG GH-22LP20, LightScribe  DVD-+R/-+RW IDE

Thanks for your help
Franz

If you don't know DVD-RAM, and care for good backups you might take a
look at this site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM#Advantages_of_DVD-RAM