CD/DVD Cann't use

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 20:43:35 UTC 2009

MirJafar Ali wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> MirJafar Ali wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have installed Ubuntu on my machine, but somehow cann't use CD/DVD and
>> after
>>> google search go thoroughly confused and don't know where to start from.
>>>
>>> Can someone help ?
>>>
>>> MirJafar
>>>
>>         Please in a Terminal write lspci and look for your cd drive. If not
>> found in BIOS look for a cd drive. Tell us what you find.
>>

>> 73 karl
>>

>> --
>>
>>        Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>>        Linux User
>>        #450462   http://counter.li.org.
>>        Key ID = 3951B48D
>>

>> --
>>

> Hello,
>
> lspci didn't show any cd drive and the Bios settings are default in which CD
> Drive is enabled.
> Now how should I proceed ?
>
> Mir

	I was wrong. You will see with lspci this:

 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev a1)

It is called the IDE interface and you should have this.

	Well if the BIOS says it see's the cd drive then your Ubuntu should
pick it up.

	Is the cable to the cd drive a wide flat cable or a narrow usually red
cable?  Check that you can open and close the cd drive platform.

	There must still be something wrong. Hard to tell what at a distance.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User